Sunday, September 6, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover: RPCV Edition


"In a race against time on a project that would ordinarily take months to achieve [never even be taken seriously], a team [duo] of designers, have just [enter some ridiculously short period of time here] to completely renovate an entire house  [find a way to seat more than three people in their home at any given time].  Can they do it?  Find out next on Extreme Home Makeover: RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) Edition."



Ok, so I've got a friend who is very creative and constantly making new things and trying out new ideas.  In fact, she does it often enough to blog about it.  I will not be attempting to copy her.  However, Melissa and I are a little short on furniture in our new place and it got me thinking:

I do not, even if I had it, want to spend the money to purchase furniture that I would then feel obligated to cart around with me for the rest of my life because it cost me so much money.  However, I have a lot of family and friends in the area and I don't like the fact that when they come over there aren't enough chairs/couches/benches for us to all sit around together and hang out.  We don't even have chairs for our dining room table at the moment.  So whatever are we to do?

We're gonna make some furniture.  Yep, you heard me.

But -- and here's the part that makes it really fun -- we're gonna do it without buying any new materials or spending any money.  (And no, for those PC RIM folks out there, we will NOT be "making" a matela)

How, you might ask?  Well, I've been inspired by a hippie book from the 70's that my mom used to own and I just recently found again.  Stay tuned.  If we succeed I'll be posting pictures.  And if we don't succeed...I'll be posting pictures.  It's gonna be fun.

5 comments:

  1. That rules!! I can't wait to see your furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Our apartment is gonna be so cool. And cheap. And environmental! And unique! Actual unique--not ikea mix and match unique. HOoray hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. better have a comfortable chair for daddymac when i visit! :)

    ReplyDelete